Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Divergent


Jacque's Review:

Flo posted an extensive review of Divergent a couple of months ago.  I could not agree with her more.  This book was AMAZING.  There is no other way to describe it.  The storyline was very original and the characters were constantly evolving.  I simply did not want to put it down, nor did I want it to end.

Since Flo left a gaping hole in her review on purpose, I will attempt to fill it.  Four was by far my favorite character.  He was strong and appeared to be fearless, as the Dauntless are described to be, but as the story progressed I learned that there is a lot more to him.  He helps Tris and the readers to discover what is really going on within the factions and why being Divergent is a desirable quality.  The interactions and dialogue between Tris and Four are what captivated me the most.  Without Four, I guarantee I would not have felt the same way about this book.


Mary's Review:

This book was a very quick read for me and I loved it after the first two chapters.  The first couple chapters were a bit of a template for me.  Let me explain, I did not enjoy the book MATCHED by Ally Condie and the first two chapters were showing simialites to it.  However, after Tris chose what faction she was going to live in, the book to a dramatic turn and I loved it! 

Jacque is very correct in saying that Four made this book.  The book would not be the same without Four.  (I think this is the first time we all are on the same "Team")  Within this book you can actually see Tris grow into a strong and determined person and that is because Four is there to help her with that.


Teri's Review:

Divergent is my very first book with the blog. I excitedly went to the book store, (Im old school and do not download books yet..) and picked up the book skimming the jacket. I have to admit I felt a bit disappointed and thought " this is not for me.." It seemed futurist. The only futurist thing that crosses my mind is who will be wearing what in the next season. But like a trooper, I paid for my book and carried on. Like Mary, I struggled though the first few chapters. They held little interest to me and my perceptions on the Abnegation bordered on Amish like. It was Tris's apparent act of rebellion in choosing Dauntless that caught my attention and I was hooked from then on. The characters suddenly became real to me, as did their struggles to want to fit in where a lot of them obviously didn't belong. Like my fellow bloggers, I was totally Team Four. His darkness appealed to my love of bad boys, and I cherished the relationship between him and Tris and wanted it to be real. I found this book a easy enjoyable read, one that deals with our desires to belong , and our need for acceptance .

1 comment :

  1. I am reading "Divergent" and it is amazing!!!! As a fan of The Hunger Games trilogy and The Maze runner series, this is definitely my type of read. Tris is a great heroine although lacking a bit in comparison to other popular girl characters such as Hermione Granger (Harry Potter) and Katniss Everdeen (Hunger Games). Don't get me wrong I love her, but she just doesn't have enough depth. However, the real scene stealer, as mentioned above is Four! Wow! His character keeps unraveling, exposing pieces of him that the reader never dreams of seeing. His exchanges with Tris are what makes the whole book. I really want to see what the author does with a future book because I love the concepts of the seemingly "perfect" districts seething with corruption. This story is one of my new favorites and I think it has a lot of potential to improve and continue. TEAM FOUR <3333

    ReplyDelete